Sunday, September 10, 2023

California Dreaming

 Jann and Laura decided that seeing Mickey Mouse would be worthwhile. So they invited Marissa and me to go with them. 

Marissa and Laura after landing at John Wayne Airport.

We flew F-18 simulators. 

I asked the guy at the front desk if there was a hangar I could fly through (a favorite thing to do on flight sims) and he said No. So I asked the employees in the back, and one of them said There's a building. I'll get you there. 

Turned out we were simulating a dogfight over Dubai. Just after we started, the guy in the control tower said over the radio David, turn right, towards the coast. When you get there, turn left, parallel to the beach. See that building? That's what you're aiming at. 

As I got closer, I realized there was an open triangle thing at the top. As I was getting close, he said You'll have to bank to about 45° to fit through. I aimed just right of the opening, and banked left and yanked up to zoom through without hitting. 

Then he directed me back to the dogfight. That was fun too.

We went to the Fullerton Arboretum, and enjoyed a leisurely stroll.

This is called Devil's Walking Stick. See if you can tell why.

It took two attempts to see dolphins. On our first try, it was way too windy and wavy. But they gave us rain checks, and this was our second try. We were on a catamaran named Catallac.

This is a Risso's Dolphin. It is a relatively rare sighting according to Captain Larry.

It is the largest species of Cetaceans that is called a dolphin. The scarring is from fighting with its buddies.

These are common dolphins. 

Larry said there can be up to 5,000 individuals in a pod. We saw about 20.

Waves on the jetty in the harbor.

Los Angeles Angels game. We decided the pitch clock really kept the game going. We got Cracker Jack.

These beetles were flying all over the place. They were so big, I at first thought they were cicadas. But no.

We spent quite a bit of time in Down Town Disney, even before we went to the parks. Breakfast at Starbucks, shopping, etc.

And then we went to Disneyland..

.. and saw Woody

.. and Boba

.. and Fennec

.. storm troopers (none of which could hit us), and more.

We rode Mr Toad's Wild ride, and all the old things. Peter Pan, The Haunted Mansion, It's a Small World.

And got stuck in Radiator Springs Racer and had to get rescued. As I was taking this, he was saying Put your camera away. For your safety.

Then we went to California Adventure, and enjoyed everything but the Guardians of the Galaxy-Mission:  BREAKOUT! because the wait was 2 hours.
We liked the little shows, like Dr Stranger, here.

Second day at Disneyland, and we were pretty tired. Here we are right before giving up and going back to the hotel.

Sleeping on the plane home.

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. 😁




No comments:

Post a Comment