This past fall semester, I taught a ski-building class. I've made one pair myself, and had the confidence to lead innocent students to hope they too could succeed.
A bunch of poplar and maple.
Cutting and glueing poplar blanks with two maple strips. The harder maple holds the screws better, for the bindings.
Planing the blanks flat.
Some tried a CNC router, most of us tried a different route.
Jig for cutting precise wedges.
Wedges attached to flat board.
Poplar and maple blanks attached to wedges, and sent through a thickness planer.
This gave a blank that was tapered at the ends, and fatter in the middle.
After sandwiching the tapered blanks in fiberglass and base material, with steel edges, sand to the correct shape.
My start students. Both of these guys rode their creations on the mountain. The six others who also completed skis, I don't think they really ski. So next time, I'm limiting it to those who already ski.










No comments:
Post a Comment